Find out if you need to pay Capital Gains Tax as a non-resident selling a UK residential property and how to tell HM Revenue and Customs.

If you’re not resident in the UK and sell (or dispose of) a UK residential property you must tell HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) and you may have to pay Capital Gains Tax on any gains you make on disposals made after 5 April 2015. A disposal is when the contract to sell the property is agreed (often called ‘exchange’).